Several task forces, councils and commissions created by the Robert Bentley administration were disbanded on Wednesday by Governor Kay Ivey.
In signing Executive Order 3, Ivey did away with 18 task forces, councils and commissions including the Alabama Advisory Council on Gaming and the Grocery Tax Task Force.
“I believe strongly that my role is to make decisions and lead, not kick the can down the road. I am choosing to tackle some of the issues that have previously been sent before a task force,” Ivey said of her decision. “I will work closely with members of the legislature in the days ahead to address the very important issues facing our state.
She continued, “Since the first day I took office, I have been committed to efficiency in government, cutting bureaucratic red-tape, and saving tax-payer resources; removing these groups, many of which have either completed their work or have become inactive, is just a part of that process.”
In May, Ivey and her legal team began to review established commissions and task forces to determine which ones were “needed and necessary.”
Full list of disbanded groups:
- Alabama Advisory Council on Gaming (established Oct. 3, 2016)
- Alabama Commission on Improving State Government (established Jan. 25 2011)
- Alabama Consumer Credit Task Force (established June 14, 2016)
- Alabama Economic Development Alliance (established July 18, 2011)
- Alabama Forest Recovery Task Force (established May 5, 2011)
- Alabama Human Resources Task Force (established August 14, 2015)
- Alabama Health Care Improvement Task Force (established April 6, 2015)
- Alabama Health Insurance Exchange Study Commission (established June 2, 2011)
- Alabama Industrial Energy Advisory Team (established May 9, 2014)
- Alabama Medicaid Pharmacy Study Commission (established June 6, 2013)
- Alabama Small Business Advisory Council (established September 15, 2014)
- Alabama Solid Waste Management Task Force (established September 15, 2016)
- Governor’s Commission on Coastal Insurance (established April 6, 2011)
- Governor’s College and Career Ready Task Force (established January 15, 2013)
- Grocery Tax Task Force (established Feb. 21, 2017)
- Health Literacy Partnership (established April 20, 2016)
- Law Enforcement Stakeholder Task Force (established June 21, 2012)
- Tax Exemption Advisory Council (established August 19, 2015)