With a little over three months until voters head to the ballots, AlabamaToday.com is inviting all of the candidates, including appointed-incumbent Sen. Luther Strange, to complete a questionnaire we believe offers an interesting, albeit, thumbnail sketch of who they are and why they are running. If you are a candidate and would like to complete the questionnaire, email Elizabeth@ALToday.com.
Today’s candidate spotlight features the Alabama’s 5th District U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks, the four-term congressman who’s looking to move to the upper chamber in hopes to giving America the sort of Senator he believes this country needs — “an ethical, principled conservative who has the intellect and backbone to face and defeat America’s challenges.”
Here he is in his own words:
- Significant other? Kids? I’ve been married to my wife, Martha, for 41 years. We have 4 wonderful children, 3 wonderful children-in-law, and 8 beautiful grandkids (all age 10 or less).
- Education background?
Undergraduate degree: Duke University, 3 years, double major in economics and political science. Highest honors in economics.
Graduate degree: Alabama law school.
Tuscaloosa County Assistant District Attorney.
Madison County District Attorney.
Madison County Commissioner.
- What was your first job? Tuscaloosa County Assistant District Attorney.
- In 25 words or less, why are you running for office? Because America needs an ethical, principled conservative who has the intellect and backbone to face and defeat America’s challenges.
- Did you speak with anybody in your political party before deciding on running? Receive any encouragement? From whom? Yes. I received enough encouragement to overcome my natural hesitancy to embark on a task of this magnitude. I respectfully decline to identify the names of those who encouraged me to run so as to minimize their risk of retaliation against them by Washington Powers-That-Be.
- Who do you count on for advice? Lots of people, to include but not be limited to various Congressmen and Senators plus Alabama elected officials. On a more personal nature, my wife, Martha, has been by my side through every election I’ve run in since 1982, so she knows politics very well and gives great advice.
- Who is your political consultant? Campaign manager? My campaign chairman is Rep. Arnold Mooney. My campaign manager is Wayne Parker. As you know, Mitch McConnell and Luther Strange have collectively threatened to blackball (deny work from the NRSC, Senate Leadership Fund, and Republican Senators) any campaign consultants who help any candidate other than Luther Strange. As such, I respectfully decline to identify any of our consultants in order to minimize their risk of retaliation and loss of income.
- Who was the first person to contribute to your campaign? Why did they donate? There are many people who immediately made contributions. They donated funds to help promote and protect America.
- Who, if anyone, inspires you in state government? Various state senators and legislators.
- Why do people mistrust elected officials and what are you going to do about it? Mistrust? Because too often candidates promise to do one thing and do another. I keep my campaign promises and I act ethically (as evidenced by my voting record, on the one hand, and absence of any ethical complaints against me with either the Alabama Ethics Commission or any federal ethics oversight agency during my 30+ years of public service)
- What are 3 issues that you‘re running on? (Please don’t simply say “education” or “improving the schools”)
- Deficit and Debt; minimizing the risk of America suffering from a debilitating insolvency and bankruptcy.
- Elimination of the Senate 60% vote rule that empowers Chuck Schumer and the Democrats to kill the entire agendas of conservatives, Republicans and President Trump.
- Promoting and defending free enterprise and liberty against the threat of Socialism and the Democrats.
- What is a “disruptive” issue (i.e. ride-sharing) you are interested in? I support liberty and free enterprise, and defer to the markets what product and services should be provided at what prices. It’s not the federal government’s job to interfere in the marketplace by preferring one industry over the other.
- Who was the best governor in Alabama’s modern history? Gov. Guy Hunt is the one I interacted with and had the most success with while I was a legislator and Madison County District Attorney.
- Are yard signs an important part of campaigning in your district? Yes.
- What’s the first thing you read each morning? There is no one first thing. Generally speaking I read AL.COM (Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville and Alabama versions), Montgomery Advertiser, Politico, Real Clear Politics, Drudge, The Hill, Roll Call, National Review, Conservative Review, etc.
- Where do you get your political news? See the above plus Fox News and other cable news networks, plus radio talk shows for in-depth discussions on public policy.
- 60 Minutes or House of Cards? Neither.
- Social media presence? Twitter handle? @mobrooksforsen on Facebook and Twitter.
- In 140 characters, what’s a Tweet that best describes your campaign message. Spotless ethics record & record of proven conservative leadership.
- Hobbies? White water rafting, canoeing and kayaking; competitive table tennis; jogging; bicycling, hiking America’s national parks (Acadia, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Mt. Zion, etc.)
- Favorite sport and sports team? Favorite participation sports: table tennis, baseball, basketball. Favorite sports teams: Duke University basketball, Alabama football, St, Louis Cardinals baseball.