Lee Smith, Executive Vice President and East Region Executive for BBVA Compass, has been elected as the 2018 Chairman of the Board for the Birmingham Business Alliance (BBA) —the lead economic development organization for the Birmingham region. Smith succeeds UAB President Ray Watts.
“I am excited and honored to be serving as Chairman of the BBA in 2018,” said Smith. “Preparing and adding to the region’s workforce, and supporting Birmingham companies to attract and retain some of the brightest minds in the country will be a top priority for the coming year. I would like to thank Dr. Ray Watts for his strong leadership of the BBA for two years. His vision and wisdom around complex issues has helped Birmingham become a powerhouse of innovation and economic development that is recognized throughout the region and the country.”
Members of the Executive Committee and Board of Directors were also elected at the annual Chairman’s meeting. Each will serve a one-year term.
The 2018 BBA officers include:
- Chairman of the Board: Lee Smith | BBVA Compass
- Chairwoman-elect: Nancy Goedecke |Mayer Electric Supply
- Vice Chairman of Workforce Development: Sanjay Singh | Bimal LLC
- Vice Chairman of Public Policy: Greg Curran | Maynard Cooper & Gale
- Vice Chairman of Communications: Don Logan | Birmingham Barons
- Vice Chairman of Finance: Nelson Bean | Synovus-First Commercial Bank
- Vice Chairman of Economic Development: Jim Gorrie | Brasfield & Gorrie
- President and CEO: Brian Hilson | Birmingham Business Alliance
- Corporate Secretary: Bing Edwards | Edwards+Law LLC
New members of the BBA executive committee include:
- Ed Aldag | Medical Properties Trust
- Tim Vines | Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama
- Nick Willis | PNC Bank
- Randall Woodfin | Mayor of Birmingham
New members elected to the BBA Board of Directors include:
- Jason Alexander| St. Vincent’s Health System
- Scott Berte | Dixon Hughes Goodman
- John Coleman | Graham & Co.
- Chris Cooper | AAA Cooper/Boyd Brothers
- John Hackett | Kamtek
- Brian Hamilton | Trillion Communications Corp.
- Dr. Bruce Irwin | American Family Care
- Jimmy Johnston | Autocar
- Richard Murray | National Bank of Commerce
- Kathy Nugent | UAB
- Daniel Parker | Norfolk Southern Corp.
- Andrea Smith | BBVA Compass
- Bill Smith | Shipt
- Tricia Wallwork | Milo’s Tea.