Have you or your child ever dreamed about attending one of the United States Military Academies?
Attending one of the five service academies — United States Military Academy in West Point, NY; the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, CO; the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis Md.; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY — is a great way to prepare to be military officer while also getting a top-of-the-line college education.
The honor of attending a service academy comes with an obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. Students applying must be between the ages of 17-23, be unmarried, be a legal resident of their respective representative’s district and believe they have what it takes to succeed at one of the United States Service Academies.
But simply wanting to attend ones of these schools isn’t enough. They have a highly competitive acceptance process and after applying for the school applicants must also secure a nomination from their U.S. Senator(s), U.S. Representative, and/or the Vice President in order to complete the admissions process.
Which is why Senator Doug Jones is hosting a series informational sessions this month for interested Alabamians across the state where he encourages interested applicants and their families to attend one of these sessions if they plan to seek a nomination from the Senator.
Details for informational sessions
- Where: Murphy High School (Auditorium), 100 Carlen Street, Mobile, AL 36606
- When: Monday, September 17 from 5:15 – 6:30 PM Central
*Alabama 1st District U.S. Rep. Bradley Byrne is also hosting his own Academy Night for those interested in attending a service academy on Monday, Sept. 10. from 6-8:00 p.m. CT at St. Paul’s Episcopal School; Dr. Monte L. Moorer Theatre (161 Dogwood Lane; Mobile, AL)
- Where: Wallace Community College, Hank Sanders Technology Center Conference Room, 3000 Earl Goodwin Parkway, Selma, AL 36703
- When:Tuesday, September 18 from 5:00 – 6:00 PM Central
- Where: Park Crossing High School (library), 8000 Park Crossing, Montgomery, AL 36117
- When: Tuesday, September 18 from 6:30 – 7:30 PM Central
- Where: Birmingham Public Library, 2100 Park Place, Birmingham, AL 35203
- When: Wednesday, September 19 from 6:30 – 7:30 PM Central
- Where: Madison Public Library, 142 Plaza Blvd, Madison, AL 35758
- When: Thursday, September 20 from 5:00 – 6:00 PM Central
- Where: Troy University – Dothan Campus (Everett Building), 500 University Dr., Dothan, AL 36303
- When: Thursday, September 20 from 5:30 – 6:30 PM Central
Note: Only a limited number of Alabamians will be nominated, and a nomination does not guarantee acceptance into an academy.