The finalists are:
- Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange;
- Alabama 4th District U.S. Rep. Robert Aderholt;
- Anniston-Republican, state Senate President Pro Tem Del Marsh;
- Alabama Department of Economic and Community Affairs Director Jim Byard;
- Jasper-Republican state Rep. Connie Rowe;
- Montgomery-Republican, co-chairman of Trump’s Alabama campaign and former state Rep. Perry Hooper
Bentley will appoint one of the finalist to the seat pending Sessions’ confirmation as President Donald Trump’s attorney general, which is expected to happen in the next week or two.
The governor interviewed over 20 people for the coveted position including suspended Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore; Republican U.S. Reps. Martha Roby, Mo Brooks and Gary Palmer; and several state officials and legislators.
“I am proud of all these men and women who serve our state with integrity and humility,” Bentley said in a statement. “Our people should be proud to have such a large number of qualified candidates who have a heart for serving our great state.”