Today is International Women’s Day. In recognition, personal-finance website WalletHub recently released its report on 2020’s Best & Worst States for Women and found Alabama is the 4th worst state for women in 2020.
To identify the most women-friendly states, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 24 key indicators. Some of the considerations include wages, female homicide rate, women’s preventive health care, healthcare, graduation rates, women-owned businesses and more.
Woman-friendliness of Alabama (1=Best, 25=Avg.):
- 28th: Median earnings for female workers (adjusted for cost of living)
- 33rd: Unemployment rate for women
- 46th: Share of women in poverty
- 26th: Share of women-owned businesses
- 47th: High school graduation rate for women
- 41st: Share of women who voted in 2016 presidential election
- 34th: Female uninsured rate
- 49th: Women’s life expectancy at birth
- 21st: Women’s preventive health care
Here’s a look how Alabama compares to the rest of the country.