The Wetumpka TEA Party will host the River Region Candidate Fair on Monday evening from 6:30-8:30 p.m. for candidates running in the 2018 Republican primary election.
Over 40 candidates have confirmed their attendance for the event, which will be held at the Wetumpka Civic Center.
Advertised as a “meet & greet,” the event will allow Alabamians to meet each candidate individually and ask them questions about the position they are seeking, rather than listen to speeches and debates.
The Wetumpka TEA party will also be conducting a straw poll at the end of the night, with results posted Tuesday morning.
“Our mission at the Wetumpka TEA Party is to educate citizens on national, state and local issues and help them get involved in our representative government,” said Wetumpka Tea Party founder Becky Gerritson. “It is important that people vote for their elected officials because they know what the candidates stand for and do not just rely on 30 second commercials and attractive yard signs. This is a terrific opportunity to meet the candidates who are running for an elected position, to ask them questions and understand what each candidate stands for.”
The following candidates have confirmed their attendance on Monday night:
- Governor: Bill Hightower, Kay Ivey, Scott Dawson, Tommy Battle (will send a representative)
- Lieutenant Governor: Will Ainsworth, Twinkle Cavanaugh, Rusty Glover
- Attorney General: Chess Bedsole, Troy King, Alice Martin
- Auditor: Stan Cooke, Elliott Lipinsky, Jim Zeigler
- Secretary of State: Michael Johnson, John Merrill
- Treasurer: Stephen Evans, John McMillan
- Commissioner for Agriculture and Industries: Gerald Dial, Rick Pate (will send a representative)
- Alabama House of Representatives 31: Dustin DeVaughn, Mike Holmes
- Alabama House of Representatives 88: Al Booth
- Alabama Senate 25: Will Barfoot, Ronda Walker
- Alabama Senate 30: Clyde Chambliss (Unopposed)
ALABAMA COURT SYSTEM
- Supreme Court Chief Justice: Tom Parker
- AL Supreme Court Place 1: Sarah Stewart
- AL Court of Civil Appeals Place 1: Michelle Thomason, Pat Thetford
- Circuit Court 19 Judge: Bill Lewis (Unopposed)
PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
- Public Service Commission Place 1: Jeremy Oden, Jim Bonner
- Public Service Commission Place 2: Chip Beeker, Robin Litaker
LOCAL AND CIRCUIT RACES:
- Elmore County Sheriff: Bill Franklin (Unopposed)
- Probate Judge (Elmore): Vicki Bonner-Ward, John Thornton
- Elmore County Commission Dist 4: Bart Mercer (Unopposed)
- Coroner (Elmore): Brad Linville, Jody Jeffcoat
- Circuit Clerk (Elmore): Michael Dozier, Angie Cruise-Gardner
- U.S. Congress Dist 2: Rich Hobson, Bobby Bright, Barry Moore
A flier for the event may be viewed here: River region candidate fair.