The National Rifle Association’s political arm the Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) is joining the many voices calling for U.S. Senator Doug Jones to support Brett Kavanaugh, President Donald Trump‘s nominee to the U.S Supreme Court.
Alabama’s senior senator Richard Shelby announced his support last week saying, “After speaking with Judge Brett Kavanaugh, I am confident that he is principled, intelligent, and a steadfast supporter of the rule of law,” said Shelby. “He is highly-qualified for this role and exhibits strong, conservative values and an unwavering commitment to our Constitution. I have no doubt that Judge Kavanaugh will uphold the principles on which our nation was founded.
“Confirming Judge Kavanaugh is one of the most important things we will do during this Congress. I look forward to supporting his nomination to serve on our nation’s highest court, and I urge my colleagues to do the same,” Shelby continued.”
Jones has previously said he was keeping an open mind on if he’d support or oppose the candidate. Since then he’s received pressure from both sides of the fight including from Obama’s own “Organizing for America” who weighed in asking Jones to oppose the nomination.
The NRA-ILA is asking people to sign the following pledge which can be found on their website:
Federal: Contact Your Senator and Urge Them to Confirm Brett Kavanaugh to the US Supreme Court.
The confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh is a major step in securing a pro-Second Amendment majority on the Supreme Court for a generation. Let your U.S. Senators know that you support the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court and that you, along with the NRA’s six million members and tens of millions of Second Amendment supporters, will be watching the confirmation process closely.
We have a responsibility to secure our right to self-defense as well as protect the Second Amendment rights of future generations.
Sen. Chuck Schumer and the gun control lobby have vowed to prevent Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation. That is why we need you and every pro-Second Amendment supporter to contact your U.S. Senators today and urge them to vote to confirm Judge Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court.
What you need to know about Brett Kavanaugh:
- He will faithfully execute his oath to the Constitution and protect our constitutional right to keep and bear arms. He is an outstanding choice to fill Justice Anthony Kennedy’s seat on the Court.
- He has demonstrated his clear belief that the Constitution should be applied as the framers intended. He has supported the fundamental, individual right to self-defense embraced by Justice Antonin Scalia in the historic Heller decision.
- In 2011, he filed a dissenting opinion in a case challenging D.C.’s “assault weapon” ban and restrictive firearm registration requirement. In a well-reasoned opinion closely following the Supreme Court’s guidance in Heller, he found both the ban and registration requirement to be unconstitutional.
- In 2016, he voted to leave in place an order striking down D.C.’s restrictive carry law.
- In 2017, he voted to leave in place a panel decision that found D.C.’s “may-issue” carry law violated the Second Amendment. This vote led to D.C. adopting its current “shall-issue” concealed carry process.
- Judge Kavanaugh has an extensive and impressive legal resume. He completed his undergraduate and law degree at Yale University, clerked on the Supreme Court and served in the Bush administration. Throughout his career, Kavanaugh has fostered and built lasting relationships with key conservative figures who fight to protect and defend the Second Amendment.
Tell your U.S. Senators you will be watching how they vote on this nomination and will be keeping their vote in mind when deciding how to cast your vote in the next election! Encourage your family, friends, and fellow firearm owners to contact their senators as well.