To say Day One of the 2016 Democratic National Convention was eventful, would be an understatement.
Filled with drama and chants of “Bernie! Bernie!” interrupting speeches throughout the evening, the Democratic Party endeavored to move past the weekend’s email leak scandal where thousands of emails showing DNC officials were attempting to undercut Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders during his primary campaign against presumptive nominee Hillary Clinton.
Unity was supposed to be the theme of the first day, but it certainly didn’t feel that way Monday night.
Tuesday the Party will continue to push forward with a day themed, “A lifetime of fighting for families,” and will highlight how Hillary has spent her career working to make a difference for children, families, and our country. Clinton will also formally become Party’s nominee pending a roll call vote.
The list of Tuesday’s speakers:
- Bill Clinton: Former U.S. President
- Mothers of the Movement: Gwen Carr, mother of Eric Garner; Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin; Maria Hamilton, mother of Dontré Hamilton; Lucia McBath, mother of Jordan Davis; Lezley McSpadden, mother of Michael Brown; Cleopatra Pendleton-Cowley, mother of Hadiya Pendleton; Geneva Reed-Veal, mother of Sandra Bland.
- Dustin Parsons: a fifth grade teacher at an elementary school in Arkansas
- Joe Sweeney: a detective with the NYPD on September 11, 2001
- Lauren Manning: one of the most catastrophically wounded survivors of 9/11
- Ryan Moore: has spondyloepiphyseal Dysplasia dwarfism and has known Hillary Clinton since 1994