Know a vet getting the government run around?


Soon our nation will be celebrating Memorial Day. More than a three-day weekend marking the beginning of summer, Memorial Day is time to pay tribute to the soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation. It’s also a time to say thank you to our nation’s many vets and our current service members who are still manning the front lines to protect this great nation.

Often times our nation’s veterans and military have issues with the federal government and need help. Did you know that you your Congressman and Senators are often your best resource when you can’t get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly.

For those currently in the military, or their families, experiencing difficulties with the U.S. Department of Defense and/or any of its military branches (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, and the U.S. Merchant Marines), TRICARE, or the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) a Congressional office can often intervene and help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

For veterans, a Congressional office can assist efforts to obtain military records and medals, in answering questions they have concerning eligibility for benefits provided by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), or those who might be having difficulties with the VA Health Care System or the VA claims and appeals process.

Offices are also available to assist with a myriad of other constituent services areas that include, but are not limited to:

  • Citizenship and Immigration Services: dealing with USCIS — relating to the process of becoming a U.S. Citizen, how to renew a Permanent Resident (Green) Card
  • Consumer Complaints: complaints about a product or business
  • General Financial and Emergency Assistance: facing financial difficulties and looking for temporary financial assistance
    Internal Revenue Service: federal tax-related problems, tax-fraud
  • Medicare: problems with Medicare Part A, Medicare Part B, Medicare Part D Prescription Coverage, a Medicare Advantage Plan (also known as Medicare Part C) or CMS
  • Passports: figuring out where you should submit your application, figuring out which application to use, and deciding when you need to submit application to ensure that you get your Passport prior to your travel date
  • Preventing Identity Theft and Fraud: provide information about steps that individuals may take to as a way to proactively protect themselves from identity theft and what can be done to protect your credit information from use in fraudulent ways
  • Small Business Administration: provide information on any available government financing, counseling, and training programs to individuals who are interested in starting or expanding Alabama-based business
  • Social Security Administration: difficulties with the Social Security Administration with obtaining disability benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), retirement or other Social Security-related benefits, or if you simply need some help in obtaining documents

If you’re facing an issue with the federal government, don’t hesitate to reach out to your respective Representative or one the Senators for assistance.

Not sure of your congressional district or who your member is?  You can use this easy service to find out.